Friday 15 January 2010

Butlers Wharf Chop House

The Butlers Wharf Building, 36e Shad Thames, SE1 2YE

Every year, for the last few, Mr PP and I have done the Evening Standard reader offers at D&D restaurants. Although occasionally ending up somewhere not that special (yes, Coq D'Argent we are looking at you here), we also had a wonderful evening at Launceston Place, and fabulous cocktails at Skylon, with a great view over the Thames.

This year, we decided to try Butlers Wharf Chop House, so booked ourselves in for an early dinner on a Friday evening.

The Menu:
Being the reader offer this was necessarily somewhat limited. However, it was not the menu we had looked at on the website, and to be honest we weren't enthralled. In fact, so much so, I have no record of it now (not good for a blog - must do better in future!) The limited menu was even further reduced by the fact that they had run out of the potted pork starter, and the fish main course. I think, to be fair they should now have been rebranding it the set menu. Still, at two courses for £10, it should still be value for money?

Our Meal:
We had to wait around half an hour at the bar for our table. As we sat and waited it soon became clear that the shit was hitting the fan all around us. To be fair, front of house were doing a very good job at trying to keep things going, but I could see into the open-ish kitchen, and there were a LOT of checks waiting ...

Eventually, we were seated next to the door. I don't know if you remember London in January this year, but I was not best pleased. I spotted a table for two next to the window, and asked to be moved. I was, albeit nicely, told that this table was being saved for somebody else who had come in after us - in other words, somebody better than us. At that moment I knew I'd never be back.

They did however reseat us away from the door, and despite the ongoing chaos we were efficiently dealt with. Our starters, which I can no longer remember were fine and probably the best course. We both opted for the chicken pie, the contents of which were tasty, but had the worst, thinnest, most-like-cardboard pastry discs I have ever seen laid on top - a very poor show!

Inevitably, two courses for £10 means they will charge for all the extras. We had a side of roast potatoes and a side of cauliflower cheese, at £3.50 each - yikes. Nothing amazing, but good, solid dishes.

What we liked:
We did like the staff. Despite the obvious difficulties and being rushed off our feet, our waitress was very attentive, and we never struggled to catch her eye or get attention when we needed it. We appreciated that, and felt the service charge had been duly earned. The bar itself was comfortable enough, and once we got moved I was quite happy with the table.

What we didn't like:
I didn't like feeling that other customers were being treated as though they were better than us. I didn't like having to pay extra for sides when I've turned up for an advertised £10 menu.

Will we go back?:
Very unlikely

No comments:

Post a Comment